Thursday, July 12, 2007

 

They're coming outta the CEILING!

Day TWO: Monday, July 2
I take Matthew on a crab hunting expedition where David and I were yesterday. He is thrilled. He collects a double-eight-year-old-handful of the tiny crabs, occasionally putting them down and attempting to recover them all as they scuttle off in every direction. It's surprising how quickly they give up on retreating inside their shells. Do they somehow determine that if we are not going to eat them or pry off their legs in the first two minutes, then they might as well stay out and perpetually attempt escape?

Matthew and Jaime point out a discovery of theirs: there are many small, green or brown lizards traversing the thatched cielings, beams, and poles of the resort buildings and shade/rain shelters. Crabs are cool, but lizards are better. And faster.

3:30 - 6:00 Urged on by Liz, Jaime, and David, I take my juggling balls and arrive a little early at trapeze. This has exactly the desired effect. PG strikes up some juggling related conversation and shows me a few things. Other circus school teachers and students alternately join in and continue juggling on and off for the rest of the trapeze time.

I progress through the second position on trapeze. It sounds like it's called "Hawks off." I am ready for the catch, but mess it up by hepping too late. The timing with the catch trapeze is off, so they yell "No catch." They don't even let me backflip to the net. It's just "Let go and sit in de net when I say 'hep.' Hep." David is openly pleased, as is Liz, that I'll be taking another day to get to the next position.

Circus Team is very playful today. They pose for pictures, attempt feats of balance and strength with the GMs and each other, and offer advice to those interested. Many of us get in on the fun. I attempt a couple of positions, Matthew attempts some perpendicular ladder balancing, Molly balances on the shoulders of Kevin and myself.

Sometime later Jaime shows us the tiniest lizard I have ever seen. She has caught it in a cup. Partway through the viewing, and just prior to release, the little creature reaches around to its tail, which has taken on a slightly different colour, and casually pulls off the last 4 or 5 mm. It pauses a moment with it hanging from its mouth. I imagine it sheepishly justifying: "Well. If you'd had me by the tail this would've been really impressive."

Comments:
The crab picture is phenomenal. Pose it again, but this time have Matt put as many as he can at a time on his face. He'll thank you when he is 14 and trying to impress his friends. Well, as long as crab pinches don't scar...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?